Automated computer diagnostics of appendicitis during laparoscopic surgery
We performed retrospective analysis of acute appendicitis diagnostic efficiency in 137 patients. According to histological data inflammation of vermiform process was revealed in 105 patients. Diagnostical specifity according to the diagnostic laparoscopy (DL) scale was 81.2%, sensitivity – 77.1%. The diagnosis was false–negative in all the patients who had endoluminal inflammation of vermiform process. When automated computer diagnostical system (ACD) that included algorithms of analysis of the colouring, contours, texture of laparoscopic videoimaging of the vermiform process surface was used, the specifity was 90.6%, sensitivity – 89.5%. False–negative diagnosis rate was significantly lower when using ACD than usind an DL scale.
2. Ermolov AS, Gulyaev AA, Yartsev PA, i dr. Laparoskopiya v neotlozhnoy abdominalnoy khirurgii. Khirurgiya. 2007;(7):57–9. [In Russian].
3. Rubbia A, Faryal GA, Javeria I, Roohul M. Role of diagnostic laparosocopy in patients with acute or chronic nonspecific abdominal pain. World J Laparoscop Surg. 2015;8(1):7–12.
4. van den Broek WT, Bijnen AB, de Reuiter P, Gouma DJ. A normal appendix found during diagnostic laparoscopy should not be removed. Br J Surg. 2001;88(2):251–4.
5. Slotboom T, Hamminga JT, Hofker HS, et al. Intraoperative motive for performing a laparoscopic appendectomy on a postoperative histological proven normal appendix. Scand J Surg. 2014;103(4):245–8.
6. Strong S, Blencowe N, Bhangu A, et al. How good are surgeons at identifying appendicitis? Results from a multicentre cohort study. Int J Surg. 2015;15:107–12.
7. Hamminga JTH, Hofker HS, Broens PMA, et al. Evaluation of the appendix during diagnostic laparoscopy,the laparoscopic appendicitis score: a pilot study. Surg Endosc. 2013;27:1594–600.
8. Liashenko AV, Baiazitov MR, Godlevskyi LS, ta in. Informatsiino–tekhnichna systema avtomatyzovanoi laparoskopichnoi diahnostyky. Radioelektronika, informatyka, upravlinnia. 2016;4(39):90–7. [In Ukrainian].
9. Godlevsky LS, Bidnyuk EA, Kresyun NV, et al. Application of mobile photography with smartphone cameras for monitoring of early caries appearance in the course of orthodontic correction with dental brackets. Applied Medical Informatics. 2013;33(4):21–6.
10. Gurevich NA, Lyzikov AN, Gurevich AR. Novye informatsionnye tekhnologii v profilaktike intraoperatsionnykh oslozhneniy laparoskopicheskikh operatsiy v ekstrennoy khirurgii organov bryushnoy polosti. Novosti khirurgii. 2007;15(1):39–52. [In Russian].