PECULIARITIES OF SURGICAL AND COMBINED TREATMENT OF THE CEREBELLUM MEDULLOBLASTOMA IN CHILDREN OF EARLY AGE
Medullobastoma of cerebellum (MC) constitutes a highly malignant embryonic cerebral tumor, diagnosed mainly in children, it is characterized by early metastasizing. The literature data witness peculiarities of clinical course and results of treatment for МC in children of various age.
Маterials and methods. Results of treatment of 297 children of various age for МC were analyzed. In all the children the tumor was excised with adjuvant therapy of different volume.
Results. Тоtal excision of tumor was done in 40.6% patients, a subtotal one – in 53.6%, partial excision or biopsy – in 5.8%. In 71 (25.5%) patients the tumor excision was added by liquoroshunting procedures. In immediate postoperative period (30 days) after the tumor excision 31 (10.8%) patients died. The survival median in children ageing up to 3 years old have constituted 12 – 18 mo, depending on the treatment volume, and for more mature children – 24 – 36 mo.
Conclusion. Тоtal excision of the tumors have appeared possible in 40.3% of the early age children, a subtotal one – in 42%. In children ageing up to 3 years old a survival prognosis is worse.
2. Gorelyshev SK, Mentkevich GL, Mazerkina NA, Trunin YuYu, Kholodov BV, Khukhlaeva EA, i dr. Klinicheskie rekomendatsii. Standarty lecheniya medulloblastom u detey starshe 4 let. Moskva; 2014. 19 s. [In Russian].
3. Medvedeva OA, Gorelyshev SK, Mazerkina NA. Kompleksnoe lechenie medulloblastom u detey. Neyrokhirurgiya i nevrologiya detskogo vozrasta. 2016;(16):45–56. [In Russian].
4. Shaverskyi AV. Pukhlyny holovnoho mozku u ditei molodshoho viku [tezy]: Kyiv; 2015. 28 с. [In Ukrainian].
5. Coluccia D, Figuereido C, Isik S, et al. Medulloblastoma: Tumor biology and revelance to treatment and prognosis paradigm. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2016 May;16(5):43.doi:10.1007/s11910–016–0644–7. PMID: 27021772.
6. Chang C, Housepian E, Herbert C. An operative staging system and a megavoltage radiotherapeutic technique for cerebellar medulloblastoma. Radiology. 1969;93: 1351–9.
7. Louis D, Perry A, Reifenberger G, von Deimling A, Figarella–Branger D, Cavenee WK, et al. The 2016 WHO Classification of Tumours of the Central Nervous System: a summary. Acta Neuropathol. 2016;131(6):803–20. doi 10.1007/s00401–016–1545–1.
8. Ashley DM, Merchant TE, Strother D, Zhou T, Duffner P. Induction chemotherapy and conformal radiation therapy for very young children with nonmetastatic medulloblastoma: Children's Oncology Group Study P9934. J Clin Oncol. 2012 Sep 10;30(26):3181–6. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2010.34.4341 PMCID: PMC3434977
9. Northcott PA, Jones DTW, Kool M. Medulloblastomics: the end of the beginning. Nat Rev Cancer. 2012 Dec;12(12):818–34. PMCID PMC3889646 NIHMSID: IHMS440649/
10. Schreiber JE, Gurney JG, Palmer SL, Bass JK, Wang M, Si Chen, et al. Examination of risk factors for intellectual and academic outcomes following treatment for pediatric medulloblastoma. Neuro Oncol. 2014 Aug;16(8):1129–36. doi 10.1093/neuonc/nou006.– PMCID: PMC4096173.