Comparison of oncological results of nephrectomy and renal resection in treatment of patients with a kidney cancer stages T1B and T2
Objective. To analyze the possibilities of organpreserving surgical treatment in patients, suffering renal-cellular cancer Stages t1b-T2N0M0, and to compare oncological results of renal resection and nephrectomy.
Маterials and methods. In 2012 - 2015 yrs in 167 patients, suffering renal-cell cancer of clinical stages t1b-T2N0M0 following operations were done: renal resection was performed in 79 (47.0%) patients (1-st Group), and nephrectomy - in 88 (53%) patients (2-nd Group).
Results. Both groups are statistically equal in sense of age and gender. In the 1-st Group the average size of the tumor have constituted 5.7 сm, and in 2-nd - 8.7 сm (р=0.002). Average duration of observation have constituted 49.1 mo - in the 1-st Group, 46.9 mo - in 2-nd Group (р=0.4). Rеcurrence through the observation time was revealed in 16 patients: in 6 (7.6%) - in 1-st Group, and in 10 (11.3%) - in 2-nd. In 1-st and 2-nd Groups a 5-year disease-free survival have constituted 93.1 and 90.8% (р=0.315), 5-year general survival - 89.7 and 90.4% (р=0.929), 5-year cancer-specific survival - 91.6 and 89.5% (р=0.414) accordingly.
Conclusion. Оncological results while using renal resection and nephrectomy in surgical treatment of renal-cell cancer Stages t1b-T2N0M0 are equal. The main criteria for the operation choice for renal-cell cancer is not the tumor dimensions, but peculiarities of its placement and the resting parenchyma quantity.
2. Fedorenko ZP, Goulak LO, Gorokh YL, et al. Cancer in Ukraine, 1998-2000. Bulletin of national cancer registry of Ukraine. Kyiv, 2001;2.120p.
3. Robson CJ, Churchill BM, Anderson W. The results of radical nephrectomy for renal cell carcinoma. J Urol. 1969;101:297.
4. Uzzo RG, Novick AC. Nephron sparing surgery for renal tumors: indications, techniques and outcomes. J Urol. 2001;166:6-18.
5. Ljungberg B, Bensalah K, Canfield S, Dabestani S, Hofmann F, Hora M, et al. EAU guidelines on renal cell carcinoma: 2014 update. Eur Urol. 2015;67:913-24.
6. Campbell SC, Novick AC, Belldegrun A, Blute M, Chow G, Derweesh IH, et al. Guideline for management of the clinical T1 renal mass. J Urol. 2009;182:1271-9. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2009.07.004.
7. Lee HJ, Liss MA, Derweesh IH. Outcomes of partial nephrectomy for clinical T1b and T2 renal tumors. Curr Opin Urol. 2014;24:448-52.
8. Mir MC, Derweesh I, PorpigliaF, Zargar H, Mottrie A, Autorino R. Partial Nephrectomy Versus Radical Nephrectomy for Clinical T1b and T2 Renal Tumors: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Comparative Studies. Eur Urol. 2017;71:606-17. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2016.08.060.
9. Weight CJ, Miller DC, Campbell SC, Derweesh IH, Lane BR, Messing EM. The management of a clinical T1b renal tumor in the presence of a normal contralateral kidney. J Urol. 2013;189:1198-202. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2013.01.030.
10. Cre´pel M, Jeldres C, Perrotte P, Capitanio U, Isbarn H, Shariat SF, et al. Nephron-sparing surgery is equally effective to radical nephrectomy for T1BN0M0 renal cell carcinoma: a population-based assessment. Urology. 2010;75:271-5. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2009.04.098.
11. Badalato GM, Kates M, Wisnivesky JP, Choudhury AR, McKiernan JM. Survival after partial and radical nephrectomy for the treatment of stage T1bN0M0 renal cell carcinoma (RCC) in the USA: a propensity scoring approach. BJU Int. 2012;109:1457-62. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2011.10597.x.
12. Hadjipavlou M, Khan F, Fowler S, Joyce A, Keeley FX, Sriprasad S. Partial vs radical nephrectomy for T1 renal tumours: an analysis from the British Association of Urological Surgeons Nephrectomy Audit. BJU Int. 2016;117:62-71.
13. Meskawi M, Becker A, Bianchi M, et al. Partial and radical nephrectomy provide comparable long-term cancer control for T1b renal cell carcinoma. Int J Urol. 2014;21:122-8. doi: 10.1111/bju.13114.
14. Brierley JD, Gospodarowicz MK, Wittekind C. TNM classification of malignant tumors. UICC International Union Against Cancer. 8th edn. Wiley-Blackwell; 2017. 241p.
Copyright (c) 2018 Klinicheskaia khirurgiia
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.