Peculiarities of ultrasonographic characteristic of vascular malformation of head and neck
Objective. Application of instrumental methods of investigation for conduction of differential diagnosis of various types of the inborn vascular malformations (IVM) of the head and neck.
Маterials and methods. In 1008-2018 yrs 86 patients, suffering various types of the head and neck IVM, were examined. In all the patients ultrasonographic investigation in a gray-scale regime and a color duplex angioscanning (CDAS) for determination of the peak systolic (PS) and linear (LS) velocity of the blood flow, аs well as index of circulatory resistance (ICR) and the pulsation index (PI) along the main arteries of head and neck, were conducted.
Results. In the patients with arterio-venous malformations (АVМ) the peak systolic velocity have constituted (96.57 ± 8.54) сm/s, and a linear systolic velocity - (46.33 ± 5.59) сm/s, while in patients with capillary and venous malformations - (57.53 ± 4.63) and (28.78 ± 3.45) сm/s, accordingly.
Conclusion. Using CDAS it is possible to conduct a differential diagnosis, and it is possible to conduct differential diagnosis of various types of IVM.
2. Zweep HP, Rieu PN, van Die CE, Boll AP, Steijlen PM, Spauwen PH. Haemangiomas and congenital vascular malformations: their classification and diagnosis. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2002;146(23):1072-7. PMID: 12085555.
3. Trop I, Dubois J, Guibaud L, Grignon A, Patriquin H, McCuaig C, et al. Soft-tissue venous malformations in pediatric and young adult patients: diagnosis with Doppler US. Radiology. 1999;212:841-5. doi: 10.1148/radiology.212.3.r99au11841.
4. Mahesh B, Thulkar S, Joseph G, Khazanchi RK, Srivastava A. Colour duplex ultrasound-guided sclerotherapy: a new approach to the management of patients with peripheral vascular malformations. Clin Imaging. 2003;27(3):171-9. doi: 10.1016/S0899-7071(02)00503-X.
5. Hovius SER, Borg DH, Paans PR, Pieterman H. The diagnostic value of magnetic resonance imaging in combination with angiography in patients with vascular malformations: a prospective study. Ann Plast Surg. 1996;37:278-85. PMID: 8883726.
6. Fordham LA, Chung CJ, Donnelly LF. Imaging of congenitalvascular and lymphatic anomalies of the head and neck. Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2000;10:117-36. doi: 10.5152/dir.2014.14004.
7. Enjolras O, Ciabrini D, Mazoyer E, Laurian C, Herbreteau D. Extensive pure venous malformations in the upper or lower limb: a review of 27 cases. J Am Acad Dermatol.1997;36 (2 Pt 1):219-25. PMID: 9039172.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.