Efficacy of the carbohydrate drink consumption before orthopedic surgical interventions in children
Objective. The impact of preoperative consumption of carbohydrate drink on metabolic indices of the stress answer towards orthopedic surgical interventions in children was determined.
Materials and methods. In the investigated group 30 children, ageing more than one year, have consumed a drink, containing 25 mg of the food carbohydrate maltodextrin on 100 ml of water, two hours before the anesthesia induction. Standard preoperative starvation was administered to 30 children of a control group. There were compared the blood plasm concentrations of glucose, insulin, cortisol, and the insulin-resistance indices together with sensitivity towards insulin as well as the ketone bodies presence in urine after the operation.
Results. Preoperatively the indices of the glucose concentration in the blood plasm in the investigated group were higher, than in a control group (p = 0.02). At the end of the operations the sensitivity to insulin indices in the investigated group were higher (p = 0.01), the indices of insulin concentration in the blood plasm - lower (p=0.008) as well as of the insulin-resistance index (p = 0.01). In a control group the insulin-resistance index have exceeded the norm in 30% of patients. Ketone bodies in urine in the investigated group were observed in 20%, while in a control one - in 50% of patients.
Conclusion. Consumption of a carbohydrate drink two hours before conduction of surgical intervention have improved a metabolic profile in children, in whom orthopedic operations were performed, and reduced the surgical stress signs.
2. Rove KO, Edney JC, Brockel MA. Enhanced recovery after surgery in children: Promising, evidence-based multidisciplinary care. Paediatr Anaesth. 2018 Jun;28(6):482-92. doi: 10.1111/pan.13380.
3. Kehlet H, Wilmore DW. Multimodal strategies to improve surgical outcome. Am J Surg. 2002 Jun;183(6):630-41. PMID: 12095591
4. Pearson KL, Hall NJ. What is the role of enhanced recovery after surgery in children? A scoping review. Pediatr Surg Int. 2017 Jan;33(1):43-51. doi: 10.1007/s00383-016-3986-y.
5. Shinnick JK, Short HL, Heiss KF, Santore MT, Blakely ML, Raval MV. Enhancing recovery in pediatric surgery: a review of the literature. J Surg Res. 2016 May 1;202(1):165-76. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2015.12.051.
6. Bilku DK, Dennison AR, Hall TC, Metcalfe MS, Garcea G. Role of preoperative carbohydrate loading: a systematic review. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2014 Jan;96(1):15-22. doi: 10.1308/003588414X13824511650614.
7. Smith I, Kranke P, Murat I, Smith A, O'Sullivan G, Soreide E, et al. Perioperative fasting in adults and children: guidelines from the European Society of Anaesthesiology. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2011 Aug;28(8):556-69. doi: 10.1097/EJA.0b013e3283495ba1.
8. Practice Guidelines for Preoperative Fasting and the Use of Pharmacologic Agents to Reduce the Risk of Pulmonary Aspiration: Application to Healthy Patients Undergoing Elective Procedures: An Updated Report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Preoperative Fasting and the Use of Pharmacologic Agents to Reduce the Risk of Pulmonary Aspiration. Anesthesiology. 2017 Mar;126(3):376-93. doi: 10.1097/ALN.0000000000001452.
9. Braga M, Ljungqvist O, Soeters P, Fearon K, Weimann A, Bozzetti F. ESPEN Guidelines on Parenteral Nutrition: surgery. Clin Nutr. 2009 Aug;28(4):378-86. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2009.04.002.
10. Tudor-Drobjewski BA, Marhofer P, Kimberger O, Huber WD, Roth G, Triffterer L. Randomised controlled trial comparing preoperative carbohydrate loading with standard fasting in paediatric anaesthesia. Br J Anaesth. 2018 Sep;121(3):656-61. doi: 10.1016/j.bja.2018.04.040.
11. Svanfeldt M, Thorell A, Hausel J, Soop M, Nygren J, Ljungqvist O. Effect of "preoperative" oral carbohydrate treatment on insulin action--a randomised cross-over unblinded study in healthy subjects. Clin Nutr. 2005 Oct;24(5):815-21. doi: 10.1016/j.clnu.2005.05.002.
12. Sumpelmann R, Becke K, Brenner S, Breschan C, Eich C, Hohne C, et al. Perioperative intravenous fluid therapy in children: guidelines from the Association of the Scientific Medical Societies in Germany. Paediatr Anaesth. 2017 Jan;27(1):10-8. doi: 10.1111/pan.13007.
13.Antuna-Puente B, Faraj M, Karelis AD, Garrel D, Prud'homme D, Rabasa-Lhoret R, et al. HOMA or QUICKI: is it useful to test the reproducibility of formulas? Diabetes Metab. 2008 Jun;34(3):294-6. doi: 10.1016/j.diabet.2008.02.001.
14. Li L, Wang Z, Ying X, Tian J, Sun T, Yi K, et al. Preoperative carbohydrate loading for elective surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Surg Today. 2012 Jul;42(7):613-24. doi: 10.1007/s00595-012-0188-7.
15. Gawecka A, Mierzewska-Schmidt M. Tolerance of, and metabolic effects of, preoperative oral carbohydrate administration in children - a preliminary report. Anaesthesiol Intensive Ther. 2014 Apr-Jun;46(2):61-4. doi: 10.5603/AIT.2014.0013.
16. Biliaiev AV. Parenteral'noe i jenteral'noe pitanie v intensivnoj terapii. Kyiv: KIM; 2009. 344 p. [In Russian].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.