Ways of enhancement of the surgical treatment efficacy in treatment of patients, suffering pulmonary tumors
Objective. Efficacy of endoscopic bronchosanation for prophylaxis of preoperative and postoperative complications in patients with pulmonary tumors.
Маterials and methods. There was studied the efficacy of endoscopic photodynamic therapy in accordance to procedure, elaborated by the authors, including injection of the water solution of a methylene blue dye in concentration 0.04% into tracheobronchial tree, irradiated by laser with the wave length 0.63 mcm, independently and in conjunction with a standard anti-inflammatory therapy as preoperative preparation of tracheobronchial tree in patients, suffering pulmonary cancer. In the investigation 181 patients were included, suffering pulmonary cancer Stages II-III, morphologically confirmed, and with coexistent endobronchitis.
Results. In accordance to analysis of the pathogenic microflora titer and character in lumen of bronchial tree after preoperative preparation there was established, that while application of independent endoscopic bronchosanation in 55 (87%) observations the pathogenic microflora was absent. While combination of photodynamical bronchosanation in accordance to standard therapy a pathogenic microflora was not revealed in 52 patients. While conduction of a standard preparation without application of a laser therapy microflora was not revealed only in 44.8% observations. Together with the bronchial mucosa metaplasia in some investigated patients the dysplastic changes of bronchial epithelium of various severity degree were registered. Independent endoscopic bronchosanation have leaded to trustworthy lowering of a general rate of the bronchial epithelial dysplasia in the patients tо 36.1%, together with standard anti-inflammatory therapy - tо 42.4%.
Conclusion. Application of endoscopic photodynamic bronchosanation in accordance to the proposed procedure in preoperative period in the patients with objective to correct a concomitant endobronchitis, as independent option or together with standard anti-inflammatory therapy, leads to reduction of the endobronchial complications rate after operative treatment for pulmonary cancer, comparing with a control group. Еndoscopic bronchosanation is accompanied by significant lowering of severity of endoscopic signs of coexistent endobronchitits and improvement of mucociliary transport. In accordance to microbiological tests in 87 - 88% of patients a complete sanation of bronchial tree and elimination of main histological criteria of inflammation were noted, while in 67.2 - 100% patients – restoration of normal structure of the bronchial tree mucosa.
2. Alenezi K, Tovmasyan A, Batinic-Haberle I, Benov LT. Optimizing Zn porphyrin-based photosensitizers for efficient antibacterial photodynamic therapy. Photodiagnosis Photodyn Ther. [Internet].2017 Mar [cited 2018 Dec 19];17:154-9. Available from: https://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/article/S1572-1000(16)30166-1/pdf. doi: 10.1016/j.pdpdt.2016.11.009.
3. Shafirstein G, Battoo A, Harris K, Baumann H, Gollnick SO, Lindenmann J, et al. Photodynamic Therapy of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Narrative Review and Future Directions. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2016 Feb;13(2):265-75. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201509-650FR.
4. Akulian J, Pathak V, M. Lessne, Hong K, Feller-Kopman D, Lee H, et al. A novel approach to endobronchial closure of a bronchial pleural fistula. Ann Thorac Surg. 2014 August;98(2):697-9. doi:10.1016/j.athoracsur.2013.09.105.
5. Di Maio M, Perrone F, Deschamps C, Rocco G. A meta-analysis of the impact of bronchial stump coverage on the risk of bronchopleural fistula after pneumonectomy. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2015 Aug;48(2):196-200. doi: 10.1093/ejcts/ezu381.
6. Nwogu C, Pera P, Bshara W, Attwood K, Pandey R. Photodynamic therapy of human lung cancer xenografts in mice. J Surg Res. 2016 Jan;200(1):8-12. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2015.07.024.
7. Simone CB 2nd, Friedberg JS, Glatstein E, Stevenson JP, Sterman DH, Hahn SM, et al. Photodynamic therapy for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Dis. 2012 Feb;4(1):63-75. doi: 10.3978/j.issn.2072-1439.2011.11.05.
8. Zhang Q, Li L. Photodynamic combinational therapy in cancer treatment. J BUON. 2018 May-Jun;23(3):561-7. PMID: 30003719.
9. Haruki T, Miwa K, Araki K, Taniguchi Y, Nakamura H. Distribution and Prevalence of Locoregional Recurrence after Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery for Primary Lung Cancer. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016 Sep;64(6):526-32. doi: 10.1055/s-0035-1550231.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.