Еfficacy of application of regional modified flap of major thoracic muscle versus free radial flap of a forearm for substitution of subtotal defects of a tongue in oncological patients
Objective. To compare the efficacy of application of a regional modified flap of major thoracic muscle (RMFMTHM) and a free radial flap of a forearm (FRFF) for plastic substitution of subtotal defects of a tongue.
Маterials and methods. There were 69 patients, suffering the tongue cancer Stages III – IV, included into investigation. The patients were distributed into two groups, depending on the kind of reconstructive procedure applied. The main group have consisted of 31 patients, in whom FRFF was applied for the tongue defects correction, and a comparison one, 38 patients, in whom RMFMTHM was used for correction of the tongue defects.
Results. Average duration of operation in patients of the main group have constituted (9.91 ± 0.21) hours, while in patients of the comparison group – (6.03 ± 0.19) yr (p < 0.001), average period of stationary treatment – accordingly, - (15.8 ± 1.3) and (14.5 ± 1.5) days (p=0.002). Statistically significant differences in indices of the morbidity occurrence rate after the flaps transplantation (p=0.81), postoperative complications (p=0.49), functional status (p > 0.05) and quality of life (p > 0.05) between the groups was not revealed.
Conclusion. While application of RMFMTHM for substitution of the tongue subtotal defects, comparing with application of FRFF, the operative intervention and the stationary stay duration trustworthily shortens, аnd the indices of functional rehabilitation and the quality of life in patients are comparable.
2. Manrique OJ, Leland HA, Langevin CJ, Wong A, Carey JN, Ciudad P, et al. Optimizing outcomes following total and subtotal tongue reconstruction: a systematic review of the contemporary literature. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2017 Feb;33(2):103-11. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0036-1593772. Epub 2016 Oct 31.
3. Takatsu J, Hanai N, Suzuki H, Yoshida M, Tanaka Y, Tanaka S, et al. Phonologic and acoustic analysis of speech following glossectomy and the effect rehabilitation of speech outcomes. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017 Jul;75(7):1530-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2016.12.004. Epub 2016 Dec 11.
4. Ozkan O, Ozkan O, Derin AT, Bektas G, Cinpolat A, Duymaz A, et al. True functional reconstruction of total or subtotal glossectomy defects using a chimeric anterolateral thigh flap with both sensorial and motor innervation. Ann Plast Surg. 2015 May;74(5):557-64. https://doi.org/10.1097/SAP.0b013e3182a6add7.
5. Yuan Y, Zhang P, He W, Li W. Comparison of oral function: free anterolateral thigh perforator flaps versus vascularized free forearm flap for reconstruction in patients undergoing glossectomy. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2016 Jul;74(7):1500.e1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2016.03.039.
6. Vega C, Leon X, Cervelli D, Pons G, Lopez S, Fernandez M, et al. Total or subtotal glossectomy with microsurgical reconstruction: functional and oncological results. Microsurgery. 2011 Oct;31(7):517-23. https://doi.org/10. 1002/micr.20922.
7. Patel UA, Hartig GK, Hanasono MM, Lin DT, Richmon JD. Locoregional flaps for oral cavity reconstruction: a review of modern options. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017 Aug;157(2):201-9. https://doi.org/10.1177/0194599817700582.
8. Mahieu R, Colletti G, Bonomo P, Parrinello G, Iavarone A, Dolivet G, et al. Head and neck reconstruction with pedicled flaps in the free flap era. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2016 Dec; 36(6): 459–68. https://doi.org/10.14639/0392-100X-1153
9. Liu M, Liu W, Yang X, Guo H, Peng H. Pectoralis major musculocutaneous flap for head and neck defects in the era of free flaps: harvesting technique and indications. Sci Rep. 2017 Apr 7;7:46256. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep46256.
10. Bussu F, Gallus R, Navach V, Bruschini R, Tagliabue M, Almadori G, et al. Contemporary role of pectoralis major regional flaps in head and neck surgery. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital. 2014 Oct;34(5):327–41. [PMID: 25709148].
11. Li W, Zhang P, Li R, Liu Y, Kan Q. Radial free forearm flap versus pectoralis major pedicled flap for reconstruction in patients with tongue cancer: Assessment quality of life. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2016 Nov 1;21(6):e737-e742. https://doi.org/10.4317/medoral.21274.
Copyright (c) 2019 Liga-Inform
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.